Monday, November 1, 2010

Batumi

My host family took me to Batumi. We left the day after the holiday in Mstkheta and were there until Sunday, October 17th.  I went with my host mother and her father (my host grandpa). He drove us in his car about 2/3 of the way across the country to the Black Sea.  He has a cousin there in Batumi so we stayed with them. His cousin and family were very nice and had an apartment just a rock's skip from the beach.  It took us nearly 8 hours to get there when it probably should have taken at max 5.  It was because it was raining most of the way there and the car’s defogger and windshield wipers didn't work very well so he drove very slow. Also, I don't think he knew exactly how to get there because we kept stopping for directions. We stopped and had lunch in this small town about half way there.  The drive was half of the experience because I saw a lot of the countryside and all of its wonderful people and animals.
The first hour of the drive was on a major divided highway but most of it was on a single lane highway that went through many towns large and small. Along these roads were cows, pigs and goats just looking for things to eat and sometimes they decided that there was something tastier on the other side of the road right in front of you.  Unfortunately for one pig, it chose the wrong time to cross the road. We were driving behind this medium size semi with no load on the back, when I could see the truck start to swerve. I could just see something moving right in front of it and then, thump, thump, the truck couldn’t swerve quickly enough and right in front of us was a poor slaughtered pig.  We quickly swerved around the mess and passed by the truck who had hit the pig, he was pulling over. I asked my hostess what happens when animals are hit and she told me that the person who hits it has to go back and pay for it.  Anyway, it was an experience.

 Where we ate lunch.

 Here we were forced to take a detour along a super potholed road. I forgot that was another thing that added to the length of our drive.
 A government building in a small town we passed through.
 These cows were just chillin' in the middle fo the road. My favorite though was (which unfortunately I was unable to get a picture of) cows at a gas station while people were there getting gas not paying them any attention. I thought it was quite entertaining.

When we arrived in Batumi it was dark, so after we ate some dinner our host took us around the city to see some of the lights, buildings & parks.
 Statue holding the golden fleece.
 Used to be Catholic church converted to Orthodox.

The next day was still cloudy and rainy but the rain let up a bit so we went to check out the Sea and my hostess (Inga) and I took a walk along the boardwalk. Before we took the walk our host took us out to breakfast for a tradition cheese bread that is know to be from Batumi called acharuli. It is shaped like a boat, the 2 ends of the bread are twisted up and in the middle they put cheese, a raw egg and butter. I ordered mine with out the egg but they mix the egg in with the hot cheese and it cooks it. I loved it the first time I had it without egg. I didn't dare try it at this time with the egg but since then I have been a bit more daring... it's pretty good with the egg.
Our host and his childern. 
 (I wish I would have taken a picture of the acharuli)
Park between our host's apartment and the Black Sea.


 The Black Sea (Shavi Zghva)




:)

There was a zoo along the board walk. The few animals they had were in cages behind glass.



Walking.




We walked down the boardwalk and I saw what looked like a lighthouse. 
I wanted to go up it but Inga was a little skeptical.  We went in and found out it was a restaurant and I started heading up the flight of stairs I found. Inga I don't think wanted to come up but she had tochase me all the way up because I had a bit of a head start.
When we got to the top, the view of Batumi was amazing.
 
 
 
 

 There was a short pier across from the lighthouse.
We headed back to the apartment after this because we both had to use the restroom and there were none available where we were. Plus, if we would have kept walking on the boarwalk we would have eventually reached Turkey (which, I wouldn't have minded except I didn't have my passport with me.)
The next morning I got up a little early and took a walk down the opposite direction on th e boardwalk than where we had gone the day before.
 Found some older people taking a dip in the Black Sea in what seem to be their underwear (but I don't know for sure). I really wanted to go swimming but my time was limited that moring.
 Some interesting art work and a ship in the background.
 Found a jelly fish on the beach.
 And a rainbow.
When I got back from my walk we at some breakfast and then it was time to head back. Luckily it wasn't raining when we left. I saw some interesting things on my way home as well.  I forgot to mention that the whole way there I was trying to take a picture of a pig (well, until I saw the one get slaughtered) and I wasn't able to get one but I finally got my picture of a pig on the way home.




Just kidding, that wasn't the only pig I got.
Some of the apartments we passed by.
 Man on a bike with sticks.
 The view.
Experience a few seconds of the drive.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment