Saturday, December 18, 2010

Let the Holiday's Begin

So I'm a little behind with my posts because the holiday season started a while ago but none the less I will share a few of my holiday experiences so far. So the Georgians don't celebrate Halloween, in fact they advertise against it but I love the holiday and wanted to celebrate but as I mentioned before I was in Kazbegi and Georgians don't like the holiday. Well, I only wanted to do one thing and that was carve a pumpkin. Before Halloween I couldn't find a pumpkin anywhere but a few days after I found one in a little shop as I was meandering down the street. I bought it, hid it in my bag, brought it home. It sat on my bedroom floor for nearly a month while ever once in a while I would look at it and want to carve it but I didn't know where to do it. My host family would never allow me to do it in the house, my hostess made that very clear when I carved a little jack o'lantern face into a persimmon. So, a couple days before Thanksgiving there was a Georgian holiday called St. George's Day. There was no school (i.e. no work) and my friend was visiting from Kazbegi so it seemed like a good time. So we took the pumpkin down into the park in front of my apartment building where there was a picnic bench. Trying to be a little more discrete about it, I decided to use my 4" pocket knife, that I had bought at the outdoor market a few days before, to carve the pumpkin. As I was cutting the top off of the pumpkin I notice that the knife wasn't locking open like it should have been. The pumpkin was very thick and tough to carve into so we had to use a lot of pressure. After we got the top off and pulled all the guts out I was trying to carve out an eye when the knife slipped shut on my finger. I'm pretty sure it only stopped when it hit the bone. I immediately grabbed my finger, held it up in the air and squeezed tight. It was a pretty clean cut and because I did this it didn't bleed much. So I stayed out there while my friend helped me finish carving the pumpkin. There where a few kids that stopped by to see what we were doing and thought it was very entertaining. When I went into the house to get my finger bandaged up, I told my hostess what we were doing. She told me, "I knew what you were doing and this happened because you were carving a pumpkin on St. George's Day." I knew that's exactly what she was going to say and thought it was pretty entertaining. She helped me bandage my finger and then I went back out so that we could find a candle to put into it.

Here it is:
 

 
 The next day I came home from school to this:
There was a fire in our stairwell on like the 5 floor. My hostess said that when she went to open the door the hallway was all black, filled with smoke and she couldn't see anything. By the time I came home it was mostly gone and the firemen were just cleaning up their equipment. I did have to wait about 20 minutes before I could go up one flight of stairs to my 2nd story apartment.
 
 
My host family was watching from the balcony.
The day after that was Thanksgiving and I celebrated with the missionaries at the senior couple's apartment.
A few of the lights they put around the city for the holidays. It's very pretty.
 
Freedom Square

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I love your blog! I am thinking about teaching in Georgia also so it is very useful. Are you still teaching in the country? What has your experience in the classroom been like? Did you have teaching experience before hand? I would love to hear back from you! Alex@alexandrahoffman.com

    ReplyDelete